Mold likes thriving in dark, warm, and moist places of our houses that are generally hidden – and Los Angeles is the perfect breeding ground. Black mold is the most common mold that grows in our houses, especially in our bathrooms. Therefore, it is essential to understand the best way to control the growth of mold using chemicals and non-chemical means.
Preventing frequent water leaks and keeping your surfaces clean and dry are a few tips you can use to minimize mold growth in your house. However, after undertaking all the precautions, you still find that molds will still find a way of growing in the house. Here, we will focus on using chemicals and disinfectants to remove mold and use natural, non-toxic mold removal methods.
Removing mold on shower tiles using a mold remover
These are the most affected places in our houses with mold growth. The place is favorable because of frequent water spillage during bathing and will remain moist and warm all through. With such favorable environmental conditions, mold will find it fit to multiply faster than other places. Cleaning such areas requires a chemical formulated cleaning detergent like Clorox Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover that works faster within the shortest time. The spray is very efficient because, within five minutes, it kills and leaves the tiles clean. It is also scientifically proven to be 99.9 percent effective compared to other cleaning substances.
If you’re having trouble with this call a Los Angeles mold removal team to get the job done for you.
How to remove mold from liners and shower curtains
Due to the spillage of water during the shower, shower curtains and liners are prone to experience the growth of molds. Though these are not permanent surfaces like tiles, cleaning curtains and liners becomes easier because you will have to remove them and mix a detergent solution before washing them. A recommended way of getting rid of the mold is by washing them in a washing machine. Here, ensure you mix a solution of disinfectant and detergent with warm water that will speed up the mechanical reaction that will remove the mold completely. It is advisable to have several shower curtains and liners and exchange them periodically to minimize mold growth.
The best way of removing molds on walls and ceilings
Removing mold on walls and ceilings can be a tedious activity, especially if the roof is high. You will need to have good protective gear before embarking on the cleaning exercise. Ensure you put on gloves and wear eyeglasses to protect you from the chemicals and detergent that might fall from the ceiling into your eyes during cleaning. Clean the surface thoroughly using water and detergent and ensure you use a brash for maximum results. Ensure you rinse the surface dry after washing to make sure all the mold is removed.
Getting rid of mold on kitchen cabinets and wall units
Another place that will encourage the growth of mold is in the kitchen. This is because frequent cooking makes the kitchen warm, and as a result, the mold finds a perfect environment to grow. Occasionally you will find it growing on kitchen cabinets and drawers, and if not managed in time, it might be disastrous. Cleaning requires a detergent mixed with water, and the surface should be cleaned and left dry to stop the mold from reproducing.
Let us now focus on some more natural ways of removing mold without using chemicals harmful to our bodies.
Cleaning using hydrogen peroxide
Cleaning surfaces using hydrogen peroxide has proven to be more efficient and safe. Hydrogen peroxide is a readily available harmless cleaning solution with an antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal remover. When using the solution, take around 3 percent of the solution, put it in a spraying container, and spray the mold-infected areas. Once done, take a brush and scrub to remove the mold and wipe the place clean.
Using white vinegar to remove mold
Vinegar is a safe product to use with no harm to humans. White vinegar has added properties that make it essential in removing mold. It has proven killing capacity of about 82 percent of all mold species making it an effective non-harmful product to use. Its less acidic nature adds to its potency in killing the mold and should be sprayed to surfaces infected with molds and left to settle for one hour before wiping the surface clean with water. The odor from white vinegar vanishes within the shortest time.
Lemons are important non-chemical means of treating mold
People use lemons for many different purposes in life, but the most common one is the citric acid that comes from the fruit and is useful in our bodies. Lemons are a natural antiseptic, disinfectants, bleach, and stain remover agents. Its acidic nature has been used to clean mold because the acid breaks down the mold and kills its growth. Lemon juice can be applied on areas infected by mold and left to stay for 5 minutes, then wipe the surface clean using a wet cloth-like material or towel. This will leave the surface clean with a nice citrus aroma still filled in the air.